So it has been a little hard the past few days to write. I feel like I ran out of things to say, but I have also been rather busy. Yesterday my grandmother spent the day with us. It was very nice and she only got really confused for a little bit. I made it a baking day, so there was always some thing for her to do, whether it was chop up some walnuts or refill the flour container. She was so pleasant and we had fragments of conversations as she tried to remember things and I told her about the boys.
Malcolm was a little worried by her, until she fed him her cookie. Then he wanted her all the time and even fussed when she and my dad left. Eamon warmed to her too, except he was very disappointed that we didn't get to walk to the park because she was there (and because it rained).
Today we went to the library program down the road. Eamon hasn't liked this in the past because there are so many people, but this time, he did really well. Although he wanted me nearby, he was ok if I wasn't holding on to him and he even walked to the reading circle by himself. He loves making things, as long as his hands don't get too messy, so he enjoyed using the glue stick today. He wore his fire hat and fire boots which got lots of comments, and even an invitation to visit a firehouse.
He is still not very good at independent play, but he is getting better. He wants very much to read and write, and thinks he can, so we have started "school" where we practice coloring in the lines and learning to write the letter E. He tries to do it by himself, but he prefers if I hold on to his hand and help him. Again "the I want help until I can do it right" trait is showing itself. He recognizes quite a few letters. Today he asked for an a, so I wrote a capital A and told him what it was, but he said, "No, Mommy, that isn't in my name." Then I wrote a lower case a and that satisfied him.
The other day I caught Eamon reading to Malcolm. It didn't last long, but it was very sweet to hear his little voice saying the nursery rhymes and see Malcolm listening.
Malcolm is growing and growing. When he gets enough sleep, he is a very pleasant and happy little boy. I have been enjoying whenever I sit on the floor, he gets a book and crawls into my lap. There are two books that whenever he finds them, he will come to me and ask to read them. Today he started begging to be held. He gets up on his knees and reaches up while making "pity me" faces and whimpers. It is incredibly hard to resist his requests, though he seems to want it most while I am making supper. Thomas and I were talking about how Malcolm doesn't have one thing that he just loves, but has lots of things he likes. He likes music - especially vocal music; he likes cars and trucks and trains; he likes books about animals and nursery rhymes; he likes destroying things - ripping paper, pulling apart books, getting things out (and sometimes putting them back); and he enjoys talking with and smiling at people.
He also likes being a big boy. He refuses to eat baby food now, and is quite determined to eat whatever we are eating. So last night he had enchiladas and tonight he had pizza. He still nurses approximately every 6 hours, but is drinking water and getting most of his nutrients from "grown-up food." He has four teeth and two more so close to breaking through. I saw nubs for two more today, so we take whatever breaks from teething to get a good night's sleep. They seem to sometimes give him so much pain he just cries and can't sleep unless we give him ibuprofen.
So that is our update for now. I know it is too long for my challenge, but I can't seem to give a good update in just 100 words, so I am altering the rules, because I made them.
No comments:
Post a Comment