The country is talking about Tim Howard tonight; why shouldn't I? He played an amazing game. One of the commentators I was listening to said something like, "The rest of the team need to pull themselves together and make all those saves worth something." It got me thinking about goalkeepers.
I have a soft spot for goal keepers. Some of my favorite players are goalies. They have a unique strength, not just physical but emotional and psychological. Their efforts cannot win the game, they can only keep the team from loosing. And if the team does loose, they are often seen to be at least somewhat to blame. But each game they leave behind every other game they have played and play the game at hand. They have to be in the moment at every moment. They have unique abilities (to use their hands) but they are so reliant on the rest of the team; yet at the same time, the rest of the team relies on them.
Tim Howard is a great goalkeeper. And he inspires me because of that. He also has Tourette's Syndrome, and he has dealt with a lot of criticism because of it; but hasn't let those who have second guessed and criticized him get under his skin. And that inspires me. A while back, I read a quote from him. “I’m not perfect; I’m far from it and that is the reason I do need Jesus. I try to live it. … I stumble, as many people do, but always in the belief that I’m loved and that I’m meaningful.” And that greatly encourages me.
So, thank you, Tim Howard for your great game, your attitude, and your example.
No comments:
Post a Comment