Sunday, July 27, 2014

100 Words: Rest

It all started a week ago when Eamon threw a fit at breakfast Sunday morning and we realized he had a fever. We had thought Malcolm's crying just teething and fatigue, but so we checked him and found that he too had a fever. When I got the fever on Wednesday I realized why they were so miserable. Nothing in particular hurt, but everything was awful. So we had a week of tears, trials, and tempers.

It was a rough week. Many days Eamon would tell me, "Mommy, I'm having a bad day," and "Mommy, take care of me." Malcolm wanted to be held pretty much all the time, especially when Eamon was being held. Fortunately, both boys did take really good naps, so I was able to sleep in the afternoon too.

But on top of the illness, there are plenty of things that unsettle my heart. From disobedience and defiance, to planning and re-planning, to compassionate worries and concerns. Today I needed rest. And God is providing it in little bits and pieces. We had an outside service and picnic which was so pleasant. We got to talk with some of our friends and Eamon got to play with their girls and has been talking about them all evening. Eamon enjoyed the "excavator park" but didn't throw a fit when we had to leave. I got the dishes done while Thomas read to me. I got to learn and research a bit about amazing animals tonight. And now I am going to read a play before I go to bed.

Rest is not just lack of activity, or an activity that I enjoy, but it seems to me to be an attitude or state of being. I want to take it with me into this next week and see how much I get done while I am resting.

No comments:

Post a Comment