Eamon requests fudge for his birthday every year, and every year I try to make it, but only once has it turned out right, and I never knew why. It has always tasted delicious, but the texture has been all wrong. I told Eamon this year that I would practice making fudge until I got it right. Then I researched and read articles and tried to figure things out.
Today was the day to try again. I put the butter, sugar, and evaporated milk in a pot and began stirring. As soon as it started to boil, I put in my candy thermometer and waited until it read the correct temperature 237 degrees F. Last time I followed the suggestion to have everything read to put in immediately and it crystalized immediately, so this time I tried the suggestion to let it cool down just a little before adding the chocolate. As soon as I dumped the chocolate in, it crystalized immediately and got all oily and grainy.
Because this is what always happens, I was not terribly surprised, I was prepared with another experiment. First, I dumped all the grainy, greasy mass into a different bowl. Then I washed the pot so it had no sugar encrusted on the edges. After I put it back on the burner, I greased the sides with butter and pulled out my electric thermometer. I put the failed fudge back in the pot, adding about half a cup of water to the grainy, greasy mass.It was time to bring it to a boil again. This time I used my electric thermometer. When I put it in, the candy thermometer said it was about the correct temperature, but the electric thermometer said it was only 200 degrees F. So I stirred and stirred. The grainy, greasy mass became a bubbling, beautiful syrup. At last it reached 237 degrees F, so I turned of the heat and waited until it almost stopped bubbling. Then I scooped in the marshmallow cream and stirred it until it was all mixed in.
When I dumped it into a lined and greased 9x13 pan, I could tell that it was already a better texture. A few hours later when we ate it, the fudge melted in our mouths. It was not only tasty, but the right texture too!
Here is the recipe I am planning on using next time.
1. Grease the sides of a heavy pot with some of the 3/4 cup of butter. Add 3 cups of sugar and one 5 1/3oz can of evaporated milk.
2. Bring to a boil until it reaches 237-239 degrees (with the electric thermometer!).
3. After it stops bubbling, stir in 12 oz of good chocolate chips - semi-sweet is good - and 1 tsp vanilla. If it doesn't seize up, add 7 oz of marshmallow cream. Add a cup of chopped nuts, if I think the boys will eat it that way.
4. Pour it into a lined and greased pan and let it cool.

No comments:
Post a Comment