Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday Meditations

I've had a few thoughts over the weekend. I wanted to try to write them down, but I didn't. I took a break. I rested. I didn't do the things that I thought I had to do. I thought I would get all stressed out because I have so much to do, but I didn't. Because it was a conscious choice to not do my chores but instead sit with the boys, watch a movie with friends, or just sit and talk to Thomas, I found that I didn't fret about all the other things to do.

Feeling sick for a few days got me to slow down enough to be able to rest. I don't mean lazing about not doing anything because I don't feel like it. But actually resting... consciously laying down the burdens of the day, the spiritual and emotional burdens, as well as the physical and stuff-to-do burdens. Then taking the time to notice the boys or enjoy friendships or talk and listen to my husband.

This resting has followed a week of thinking about "putting off" and "putting on." I will have to write more about that later. For now, the conscious "putting on" of rest had to follow the "putting off" of my to-do list, not the other way around. I wonder how many more character traits work that way? We don't "put on" something without "putting off" something else first.

No comments:

Post a Comment