Tuesday, July 05, 2016

From Grandeur to Grumps

Happy 4th of July!

In the morning I baked "pupcakes" as Malcolm calls cupcakes for the picnic in the afternoon. I am not sure what else we did, but Thomas cleaned the bathrooms (wonderful man that he is), we ate lunch late, and the boys were so excited they didn't want to go down for naps. However, during naps, Thomas read to me while I washed dishes. When the boys woke up, I looked at the clock and realized I had a ton of things to do before we could leave for my parents. So the boys helped pack bags while iced the cupcakes and Thomas shut all the storm windows.

We finally got out the door, forgetting the hamburger buns! During the picnic on my parents porch, it began to rain. The kids ate, then began to play in the rain, the little boys chasing the big boys all around the yard. It was fun to watch while the parents chatted of this and that on the porch. Then all of a sudden, we looked at the clock again and realized it was time to go to see the fireworks. We dried off boys, packed up our things, consoled a sobbing child having to leave his cousins, and got in the car.

The boys talked all the way to the fireworks. They talked about fireflies (fire bugs, flier bugs in their language), about fire works, about grandpa and grandma's house, about superheroes. We parked about three blocks away from the park where the fireworks are set off where it would be easy to get out if the boys didn't like the noise. We also had ear protection. I could see it going either way, boys loving it, or boys crying. Neither really happened, it was fun, but I don't think I would say they loved it. Malcolm wore the headphones and sat on his daddy's lap but Eamon didn't want any ear protection, saying he liked loud sounds now. Then he began asking if it was going to be over after the first 15 minutes. So we started naming the colors and that held his attention until the grand finale which was a little loud, even for him.

They fell asleep on the way home, but when we got home, Eamon woke up a little and wanted to change into his PJ's and brush his teeth, "I'm a little awake and a little asleep now." He took a while falling all the way back to sleep because he was scared, but once he was, he basically slept the night through.

I, on the other hand, didn't. I was so tired, so I went to bed shortly after Eamon, but I couldn't fall asleep. My stomach was tight and everything was bothering me - even the sound of the fan and its breeze. Around midnight I went downstairs so my tossing wouldn't keep Thomas awake, but I still couldn't sleep. I would almost fall asleep, then jerk awake like I was falling. Finally sometime after 2:30, I feel asleep. Malcolm woke up crying and crying sometime around 4:30 and once he calmed I went back to my own bed.

Thomas woke up for work at the normal time, but I woke up late. The boys woke up later. It was a grumpy day. I felt exhausted and yucky from sleeping so little. The boys took advantage of it. I let them watch a lot of TV so I could get some computer work done and they couldn't take naps. I desperately needed a nap, so they watched more TV. That made them even crazier, but at least I was feeling a bit better. It was hot and humid, so we had tomato sandwiches for supper. Then we picked up all the toys, took baths and put the boys to bed. Now Thomas is putting in the air conditioners because it is supposed to be a week of hot, humid weather.

Moral of the tale: Thomas is an amazing man.

No comments:

Post a Comment