Friday, May 30, 2014

100 Words: Life and Godliness

There are two questions that keep coming up and demanding my attention.

1. What do I believe about God?
2. Does my life reflect that?

The first questions could be a matter of theology. I have been told the answer to that question since I started Sunday School. But do I really believe all the answers that I have been given? What answers have I discovered in my own search? For example, I believe that Jesus is the fullest revelation of the character of God, but I still struggle with the question, "Why does God...?" Another example, I know that God is with me, but I sometimes pray like he doesn't really care.

My life shows that what I believe about God doesn't always mean anything. I get angry and sometimes wallow in that frustration. I condemn and judge people who are different from me. I might speak kindly to someones face, but grit my teeth and scowl behind their backs. In these, and many other ways, my beliefs about God have not permeated my actions.

So perhaps I should ask the questions in the other order. What does my life reflect about my beliefs in God? Although I tend toward over-analysis, I think in this case it is beneficial, because it keeps me aware of the unity between what I believe and what I live. I don't believe in a God who is judgmental, condemning, or two-faced in his dealing with sin and sinners, so why should I live that way. Instead, I pray that God's forgiveness and love will be reflected in the way I live. When my condemnation of others clouds my vision, I will refocus on the love Christ has for us in common. In my two faced-ness, I trust God to make my heart match the sweetness of my expression. But I hope that these two questions will continue to push me toward Jesus and being like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment