Friday, May 09, 2014

100 Words: Morning

This morning we went outside. It was cloudy and chilly and very moist, but the type of cold that promises warmer weather soon. The birds were singing and there was a slight scent of wood smoke in the air. I put sandals on the boys, but I had to go back in to get us all sweatshirts. I let Malcolm sit on a blanket and Eamon run around and play while I sipped my tea and thought about what I needed to do today.

The smell and temperature and sounds reminded me so much of those early mornings at Camp Susque. I closed my eyes and could slip back into the days of sitting on the front porch of Hemlock Hall, sipping my tea and thinking about the day. A sudden longing to be back there, among the beauty and stillness... I became very nostalgic but a flash of discontent shocked me back to reality.

In front of me were two of the most precious gifts I could be given. There was a dove building his nest in the shed on the other side of the lawn. The flowers were blooming. And into my head popped, "Don't close your eyes; you might miss the blessings in front of you."

No matter where I go, there will be certain sounds and smells and feelings that will always remind me of Camp and they will bring a smile to my face. But now there is a new place that those scents and feelings will also remind me of. And my smile will sink in to a peaceful reflection of the beautiful life I have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment