Tuesday, May 20, 2014

100 Words: About [not] Writing

I have been trying to write a post for about four nights. I start writing something, but then realize that isn't what I am trying to say, so I delete it and try again. Then I delete that one. It is rather disheartening, so I have tried to figure out why it is so difficult.

At first I wanted to write about something beautiful, but the words that I tried to use were just too clunky to capture the experience. If I just wrote the words that came to mind, they didn't make any sense and couldn't fit together into any sort of coherent structure.

I changed tactics and tried to write about things I have been thinking about. But as I reread it, it sounded like a rant and very condemnatory. I thought that if I want to say these things I had better say them in person where I could communicate using vocal expression and eye contact to show that I wasn't upset or condemning; I was just very opinionated about it.

I tried stepping back and analyzing my thought process and focus just on one bit of the conglomeration of thoughts, but that ended up not making sense and just going on and on.

The funny thing is that they are all connected, but it would take hours of conversation for me to get them straight in my head, and hours more to get them into sentences and paragraphs. But I will keep working and maybe someday these thoughts will be ready to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment