We finished drama classes with a showcase. It wasn't a full performance because we only worked on the specific pieces for a three weeks. We used our scripts and tried to use some vocal expression as well as basic movements. So we didn't create what I would call great art.
But I have been thinking a bit about what it means to be an artist. There is an aspect of creating something. There is the connection between the created thing and the artist. But the audience also puts something into the creative process. The experience of a piece of art depends on all those things, so each person will experience something different. But somehow art is a universal language. It touches us and makes us feel things in ways we don't understand.
As I think back over the drama class, there are many things I would do differently. It was a learning experience for me as well as them (I hope). But the beautiful piece of art that we created was not a performance or show, but the simple relationships that were formed. I prayed again and again that God would enable me to see them as He sees them. And if this love I have for them is even a tiny bit of how much God loves them, how great is His Love!
So our performance may not have been masterful, but the real artwork was in the relationships that reflected God's Love. And I think, that is near the heart of what it means to be an artist.
No comments:
Post a Comment