Ten years can seem like a long time. Various memories from 10 years ago have recently resurfaced. Some are happy, some are embarrassing, some are enlightening, some are simply mundane. In fact it was something as mundane as stirring hot chocolate that started this train of reminiscing.
Ten years ago, I was beginning the best semester of my college career. It happened to follow the worst semester, which only made it better. The previous semester I had four class, all of which I disliked. Two because of how they were taught, two because of the professors. I don't remember much from the classes by the professors I didn't really like, and remember nothing from one of the other classes. The final class was a Shakespeare class and it was a bright spot in my life at the time.
During that semester I also did lots of research into what schools I could student teach at. The department head had just switched, so all the work I had done previously had to be redone, from making a proposal to student teach, to suggesting which schools I would like to go to. I several I ruled out, several they ruled out, and finally we agreed on two schools for 7 weeks. One was a classical Christian school, the other was a private church school.
My family contacted friends we had near both of those schools and I was able to stay with people I was acquainted with, for minimal cost. I was able to use one of my parents' cars. I had to, and was able to, act like a grown up. In these positions, I knew the thrill and tedium of teaching. I felt like I was doing something I was good at, but also that I had lots to learn. I love the people I lived with and the people I worked with and the kids I was teaching. This semester I knew a freedom and love and acceptance that I had not felt in college. And it was wonderful.
(to be continued)
No comments:
Post a Comment