Monday, June 23, 2014

100 Words: Again and Again and Again

"Morning by morning new mercies I see."



We enjoyed watching the tides outside out cottage in Maine. The tide came up and all the seaweed and barnacles and shells were covered. The tide went out and new treasures were exposed. The tide came in, bringing logs or shells or plastic bottles; the tide went out taking rocks and seaweed, shells, and bottles with it. Again and again and again.



The sunsets were gorgeous. The kitchen and dining room windows faced west, as well as having a deck and a lawn to sit and marvel at the sky. Each day the sun set, but each day look different. One time the sun reflected yellow in the grey water. Another time the entire sky was pink and gold and indigo. Again and again and again.

Each day these things happened, without fail, but each day they were different. I wondered if our view of God isn't like that. Perhaps he is never changing, but never the same. Or is it that he is always changing, but always the same. The sun didn't change from day to day, but our view of it did. And as we go through our lives, God doesn't change, but our understanding and experience of him does. Sometimes he seems far off, but other times we know his presence.

But he is always there. Again and again and again.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! And I think you're right--sometimes our view of God is a bit of a kaleidoscope. It shifts as we change. It doesn't change Who He is, but sometimes I need to see one aspect of Him more than another (cause I can't possibly take Him ALL in).

    And you went to Maine??!! Please email me where you stayed! Hubby is wanting to take me away for a little babymoon sometime this summer and Maine is near the top of our list. :)

    ReplyDelete