Why a Bean Patch? It is a great place to tell stories, share insights, be crazy, face your fear of bugs, as well as pick beans.
Monday, January 03, 2011
Cooking Adventures
After several years of thinking that I really didn't like to cook or make food, I have discovered the joy of cooking. I love cook books (I got three for Christmas, to add to my at least 10 others) and I love watching people enjoy the food I have made. Although I always try to make yummy food, some is more impressive than others.
I made neeps and tatties to go with some canned haggis that Thomas bought. Neeps are they yellow things. They are rutabagas - also known as Swedish turnips (hence neeps) - with about 2 tbsp of butter. Tatties are simply mashed potatoes, but I used cream instead of milk, and more butter than usual because all the recipes for neeps and tatties that I could find said to use lots of butter. I cannot say that I care for haggis, but this stuff was better than any I have ever had before.

For New Year's Eve, I made a Yule Log. This is the second time I have made one of these.When I did it before, I used fudge icing and sprinkled it with Andes, because that is what I had on hand, but this year I made it as the recipe said. It is a chocolate sponge "jellyroll" although it is filled with chocolate butter-cream icing rather than jelly. Then the end is sliced off at a diagonal and attached to the side, then covered with more icing. It is decorated with meringue mushrooms and shelf-fungus and pistachio "moss". It not only looked really cool, it tasted amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
are those real mushrooms on the side, or did you use candy? it looks authentic and I bet it was yummy. =)
ReplyDeleteThey are a meringue mushrooms - eggwhites, cream of tarter, sugar - beaten until stiff, then baked for 1 1/2 hours and dried for 2 more hours. Thomas attached the caps to the stems with a little bit of icing.
ReplyDeleteThat log looks amazing!
ReplyDelete