Saturday, January 08, 2011

The First Snowfall

I know this wasn't our first snowfall, but it brought our first snow delay and made me rather pensive.

The First Snow-Fall
By James Russell Lowell

THE SNOW had begun in the gloaming,           
  And busily all the night           
Had been heaping field and highway           
  With a silence deep and white.           

Every pine and fir and hemlock
  Wore ermine too dear for an earl,           
And the poorest twig on the elm-tree           
  Was ridged inch deep with pearl.           

From sheds new-roofed with Carrara           
  Came Chanticleer’s muffled crow,
The stiff rails softened to swan’s-down,           
  And still fluttered down the snow.           

I stood and watched by the window           
  The noiseless work of the sky,           
And the sudden flurries of snow-birds,
  Like brown leaves whirling by.           

I thought of a mound in sweet Auburn           
  Where a little headstone stood;           
How the flakes were folding it gently,           
  As did robins the babes in the wood.

Up spoke our own little Mabel,           
  Saying, “Father, who makes it snow?”           
And I told of the good All-father           
  Who cares for us here below.           

Again I looked at the snow-fall,
  And thought of the leaden sky           
That arched o’er our first great sorrow,           
  When that mound was heaped so high.           

I remembered the gradual patience           
  That fell from that cloud like snow,
Flake by flake, healing and hiding           
  The scar that renewed our woe.           

And again to the child I whispered,           
  “The snow that husheth all,           
Darling, the merciful Father
  Alone can make it fall!”           

Then, with eyes that saw not, I kissed her;           
  And she, kissing back, could not know           
That my kiss was given to her sister,           
  Folded close under deepening snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment