Thursday, January 27, 2011

I wanted a snow day

I really wanted a snow day today. I don't know why. Perhaps it was the telepathic link I have with my sister who was enjoying tons and tons of snow. Perhaps I was just tired. Perhaps the Book Week Skit that we only practiced once was giving me worries. I don't know, but it didn't really matter; we didn't have a snow day.

We did have a 2-hour delay so I shouldn't really complain, but I wanted a day out of the ordinary, when Thomas could stay home, and I could stay home, and we would be happy together in our cozy little house.

Such things were not to be, alas, and I went to school. It wasn't a bad day, and I actually enjoyed most of it. Even my most difficult class was not that bad. Coming home was actually just a little stressful because our kitchen roof is leaking again. But our landlord is coming on Saturday to fix it all up.

By the way, we got a piano. It is just a little one, not in amazing condition or even in tune, but it is a piano in our living room. Our house just got a little more home-like. It makes my favorite room of the house even better. Now it is the room with sunlight and a piano.

Thomas and I were talking about how we like our house. Of course, there are problems... the kitchen roof and incredibly tiny bathroom are the biggest... but on the whole, it is a good house. It is nice to live in a place that is enjoyable to actually live in, and not just a place to sleep and eat. I think this is our first house that has actually felt like a home since I moved out of my parent's house. That is a comforting feeling.

The picture of Rivendell from The Hobbit has always been an inspiration for my dream house. It is a place to listen and tell stories and sing songs and think, but it is also a place to work and build and be doing things. It is "the last homely house" and it what I think of whenever I see my parents house, especially at night, with all its lights shining out into the darkness.

Have you ever noticed that lights in windows are very inviting from the outside, and even brighten the darkness? But then, when you come in, the darkness outside seems very, very dark, and the light inside keeps out all the unknown and scary things that could be hiding in the night?

I wanted a snow day today. I wanted to make my house just a little more like a home because there were people in it, living and loving, keeping out all the dark and unknown things, but welcoming those who need a place to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment