Tuesday, November 30, 2010

El Clasico

At 2:55 the game cast started. The game is 90 minutes long with a 15 minute halftime. We had to leave at 4:30 to get to our chiropractor appointment. I would not be able to see the end of the game, but would it really matter?

Within the first 20 minutes, the home team was ahead. Within the next 20 minutes, although there were no more goals, there were four red cards and a tussle. By the end of the first half, things looked grim for the away team.

The second half didn't start much better for them. Two goals for the home team, and two yellow cards for the away team came within the next 20 minutes. Before I left around 74 minutes, the away team had three more bookings, all for hard tackles. And the home team was playing circles around them. They looked completely helpless. They were down 4-0 with no real promise for getting any better.

As I shut my computer, I was both dreading to look at it when we got back and anticipating the result. Although I was distracted by wondering the result of the game, I managed to enjoy our dinner at a local restaurant before going home. If the scoreline had been different before I left, I might have been slightly more anxious. It was entirely possible for the visitors to pull back a goal or two, but I feared it was more likely that the home team get at least one more goal.

Thomas watched the last 20 minutes of the game with me. If it had been terrible before, it only got worse. Another goal, another yellow card, tempers flared, and a red card was shown right at the end of the match. The away team had deserved everything they got, and after resting at the top of the league, had been severely beaten by their historic rivals.

I was bummed, but I was also reminded why I like my team, and why I don't like the other team, even if they are the best team in the world at the present moment. Maybe the team I support lost the game, and lost their tempers, but at least they don't rub their skills or their victory in their opponent's face. Although they are not on the top of the League, played terribly, and had plenty of moments that I am sure they will regret, I still say Hala Madrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment