And the kids were great. They amazed me and thrilled me. There weren't as many kids as we had hoped, but the ones we had were great. I can hardly wait to see what they will do in the roles we put them in. We have just a few wrinkles to iron out.
I just talked with Dad and we might - on the probably end of might - get more rehearsals. Currently we have 26. I wouldn't mind a few more to make sure we can pull this off.
High school kids seem to be really busy, what with extra-curriculars, jobs, extra music lessons, and home work. Poor kids. If only they knew it not only gets more busy, you get more responsibilities too. Maybe some things (like drama) would be more important that other things (like track or basketball). What I really mean is that they struggle with so many issues, balancing their time is just one of them, and the issues they struggle most with (who they are impressing) is really not nearly as important as forming solid friendships.
It pays to be honest and sincere. I really like seeing that in an audition. It lets me into your thoughts and emotions, which gives me the freedom to see what I have to work with. It is kind of hard to ask a highschooler to do that though - to let down enough walls to become vulnerable.
Auditions are cruel and heartless. I ask them to show me who they are, what they can do - to open themselves up and share their dreams and desires, but then I post the cast list and crush their hopes. Then I get to deal with lots of little pieces, always wondering what they aren't telling me. Are they really mad? Or are they ok with it? Or have they been crushed beyond hope? Ah, drama, interacting with people and their emotions, thoughts, and personalities to get a beautiful peice of art, I am thrilled to be a part of it. But I must remember, be gentle, they are still highschoolers, and don't even know who they are yet...
No comments:
Post a Comment