I like new things, so Christmas was great. I got lots of new things, including the sweater I am currently wearing and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead play and movie! (Brief side track: this play/movie is pure genius and I am only beginning to scratch the surface.)
But even more than Christmas, I like new years. There is something comforting about fresh starts and something exciting about the many possibilities. This year so many things could happen. It could be scary to think of all the terrible things that might happen, but this could be the year when we have a baby, or Thomas sells a novel, or I get to act in a play. Maybe all my students will understand what I am trying to tell them; maybe they will ask Jesus to change their hearts; maybe they will learn to love reading better than their video games and movies. Maybe this will be the year that is the beginning of a Drama class at my school, maybe my cast will understand their characters and themselves and grasp meanings in the play that are deeper than what I can spell out for them, and together we can make a beautiful and rich piece of art. Maybe this will be the year that I have consistent devotions, maybe Thomas and I together will discover where in the church God wants us serve, maybe we will find that this church is only the launching pad to serve God somewhere else. Maybe...
Beginnings give us a time to look back as well, to reflect on what has happened and figure out what we are thankful for, what we want to change, and what we enjoyed along the way. This year I realized that I am more in love with Thomas than I was when I married him. I found out more ways that he is the perfect fit for me - that I need him, and he needs me, and together we are both better people. I also realized how much I love my family, my extended family, my in-laws, and my immediate family. I see that how much I am Knowlden rebel and a practical and down-to-earth Ulmer, how I find myself writing like my mother and reasoning like my father, how my brothers' perspectives creep into my view of culture, and how Thomas and his family help me filter it all from another perspective.
Teaching has been easier this year, but I keep finding things I want to do better next year. I understand kids better, so I understand how to teach them better. I am learning and tailoring the curriculum to fit my style and finding how to adapt my style based on the needs of my students.
I have made some really good friends this year, and gotten back in touch with friends that I haven't talked to for ages, as well as continuing friendships that have been around for a while. I have learned from you, been encouraged by you, and enjoyed time spent with you.
There have been books and movies and music that I have learned about and enjoyed. R&G, as mentioned before, stands out, as does Anuna. I re-read most of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (only my second time, on my own) and listened as Thomas read some of his childhood stories. The one that stands out is Mr. Monkey and the Gotcha Bird. I discovered the Bourne movies, as well as the fact that Thomas usually has good taste in movies (except when it comes to blood and guts, especially the guts part; but even then he has his limits). As far as theater movies, the best experience was watching Ratatouille while sitting at a table in a theater, eating a cinnamon scone. I also enjoyed participating in a theater class, several readings, and watching BTE perform several plays. My favorite there was A Christmas Carol followed closely by You Can't Take It With You.
Its been a good year. Another good year is yet to come. God is on His throne and in my heart, and He is faithful and will complete the good work He has begun in me. Of course it will be good.
Oh Carrie. I've shared many of these same "wonderings." Thank YOU for taking the time to write them on your blog. You and Thomas are very blessed and I am blessed to be your friend!
ReplyDeleteLove you!