Wednesday, April 15, 2020

So much noise

Our family has this problem with noise. We only like the noise we are personally making. So the boys regularly yell at each other, "you are being too loud." They had trouble with their classmates because "They are too loud. They never stop talking." That is exactly how I have been feeling everyday while we are schooling at home. "They never stop talking or making noise while they are working!" However, I stand at the bottom of the steps and holler up to the attic, but then tell them to talk quieter when they come down to the kitchen. My husband does not like when we yell or communicate with hollers up and down the steps, but he plays music nice and loud.

I didn't realize the commonality of this problem until yesterday when I was trying to work and the boys were loudly emptying the dishwasher. I told them to work a little quieter; they were right next to each other; they didn't need to yell. They got quieter for two seconds, but then started yelling happily again. I sent them outside to yell. Shortly later, Thomas turned off his music when he walked to the post office. The washing machine stopped thumping. Suddenly I realized, the house was quiet. Even though it was not accurate, it felt like that was the first time the house was quiet all day long.

It got me thinking that it isn't really a noise problem after all. We like noise. We like quiet. The problem is a lot more subtle. We like our noise. We like our quiet. We like ourselves to be able to determine our environment. And the solution to the problem isn't set times or places for noise and quiet, but the solution to so many problems: Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment