I was trying to rewrite a section of my story where a boy encounters a girl with a dislocated shoulder. I know basic first aid to check for vitals, keep the person safe, and such things, but I couldn't remember if the arm is out of position, should it be moved to strap it close to the body in order to keep it immobile or should he just leave it alone until someone more qualified could take care of it.
So I took to Google and did some research. I was reading about various injuries and the best way to proceed in taking care of them, when rather suddenly, I felt very ill and thought I might pass out. Had this never happened before, I would have been very concerned. But I am rather familiar with this sensation when encountering major injuries that I have no way of helping, so my adrenaline doesn't kick in. When there is something for me to do, I can usually push through, though I usually need time to recover myself when it is all over. However, my imagination has gotten the better of me many times.
Immediately, I bent over and put my head between my knees. When that didn't help as rapidly as I had hoped, I quickly closed down my research, without finding an answer, put away my computer, grabbed my phone, just in case I would need assistance, and went to lay down on the couch. The walls of darkness were rapidly closing in. However, within minutes of laying down, I was fine, but I decided that I should practice my Spanish instead of writing anymore.
Then next day, I called my mother, an RN, to tell me what my character should do. I am so glad that she can be my medical research.
No comments:
Post a Comment