Sunday, December 03, 2017

December 3

It is sometimes hard to give thanks for a group of messy individuals. It is easier to see their faults and flaws, the ways they are ignorant or inconsiderate, and the ongoing pressures to fulfill others' expectations. But if we pause and think of that group as individuals, it is much easier to give thanks for their love and support, encouragement and prayers, sacrifice and grace. So today, I am thankful for my church.



The photo is ironic because I said I wasn't going to do the Christmas Pageant this year. Last year's Advent Season was a flash of responsibilities and busyness. I wanted to be able to have a holiday this year - rest, relax, spend time with people, and celebrate the season. But when the dear woman who was going to do it fell and is now supposed to be immobilized for 7 weeks, my plans changed.

All week I have wrestled with this. Several friends have advised "Don't." My husband isn't sure that it is the best idea. And I still don't want to do it. I question if I am being foolish, if I am being stubborn, if I am feeling the pressures of expectations too much. I don't have those answers, and sometimes I feel like I can't ask those questions. But I am sure of one thing. I am sure that the reason I am doing this Christmas Pageant is because I love the people of my church.

I love my pastor who asked me to do it because she has already made plans to not preach that week. I love the woman who was going to do it but can't because of her injury. I love these students and delight watching them tell a familiar story in a new way. I love my teachers and the time and energy they put into Sunday School, and even more now that I am stepping down from many responsibilities. I love the people who will come and watch the children of the church. They will tell me how special and wonderful it was even if it all goes wrong. And if it goes right, they will be moved by the beauty of the traditional words and symbols.

So I am thankful for this messy group of individuals. It is part of the Church, Christ's body, and I am thankful to be a part of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment