Sunday, July 26, 2015

Kate's Dress

I haven't had much time to use my computer in the last three weeks because I have been working on my sister's wedding dress. Now that she is married, I get to share the process a little bit, but unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of the completed dress yet.

We had two mock dresses before I made the final dress. I knew that Kate worked best not just looking at pictures, but actually having something to feel and touch and see on herself, so the first mock dress was just pulling together a bunch of ideas and getting a general fit and pattern that worked well.


The second dress was taking those alterations and making a completely new pattern out of the original pattern. I made it strapless, gave it a sweetheart neckline, and changed the gathered skirt to an A-line. I also made it in a cotton muslin because she wanted to try a more "rustic" or "earthy" feel.


After that dress was completed, I did several more fitting to get the bodice tight enough but skirt with the right amount of movement. I then made the lining of the dress, had one more fitting, made just a few more alterations and began the final dress.


All the material for all three dresses was from a wonderful friend who decided this spring to clean out her fabric collection. As I completed the final dress, Kate and I began talking about adding halter straps for the reception. Then a few night before the wedding a friend suggested adding a belt just to complete the look. Both we excellent additions and made the dress "just perfect" for Kate.

The veil ended up being a bit of an adventure because of the lace around the edge. When I gave Kate the measurement of how much lace to get, I forgot that she wanted a jagged edge. The length of lace was too short, so we shortened the veil by 5 inches, and we where still 3 inches too short on lace. We improvised and nobody, except us, was the wiser.

(Photo "stolen" from Facebook)
In the making of the dress, their were several moments of thankfulness and several of, "Oh the cleverness of me!" When I finished a zipper right before my thread ran out, I was filled with gratitude because I hate putting in zippers. When the seams on the bodice and skirt actually lined up, I was amazed, even though I had spent so much time measuring and remeasuring. When the halter straps and the sturdy bodice lining worked and smoothed everything out, I was ready to crow. When she loved the dress and said it was the most comfortable thing she had ever worn and didn't want to take it off, then I felt that I had succeeded. And when she was so beautiful coming down the aisle and she danced with abandon at the wedding, I cannot express the joy I felt for her as well as the sense of accomplishment in a job well done with love.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie that is adorable!! your sister looks so happy, I hope her day was very special and full of happiness all around. does her husband have a brother close to his age? in the last picture, there's a guy that looks like him in the back of the photo... could just be a happenstance thing. your Dad is looking pretty happy too. =) hope y'all had a wonderful celebration together as a family! love from Sean, MK & all the pretty little kittens

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. the final dress is stunning, but I love the original mockup- I love tulle, I would totally wear something like that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete