Sunday, July 26, 2015

My dress

On the Saturday before Kate's wedding, I finished Kate's dress and received in the mail a package containing the pattern for the dress I wanted to make. I was tired of sewing, so I thought let me go try on some dresses at the store and see what I can find so I don't have to make another dress. I wasn't satisfied with anything I found, so Sunday I began working on my dress.

By Sunday night, I discovered that the only way the pattern I had bought was going to work was if I had someone to help do multiple fittings. There was really no one who could do it, so I was left coming up with a new pattern. 

That morning, Eamon complemented me on my dress, saying, "Mommy, that dress is beautiful. Why can't you wear it to Aunt Kate's wedding?" And in the evening, when I called Kate and Mom to figure out what to do, Dad mentioned the dress I has worn to the ICS High School Graduation. So I got both of those dresses and made a pattern and design from them.

Left: graduation dress; Center: finished dress; Right: Sunday dress
Mom fitted a muslin bodice for me on Monday (I think) afternoon. And from there I created a dress. I didn't take any pictures of the process because it was so fast and actually rather discouraging, although everything else went smoothly. I was beginning to feel the stress of the wedding and not spending much time with my children for the past few weeks. Besides the fact that Malcolm slept awfully almost every night that week.

But I was quite happy with the end result and got some nice compliments on the dress.

1 comment:

  1. wow! that is *gorgeous* Carrie. you have so much artistic talent when it comes to sewing... in an alternate life I think you're a costume designer or a contestant on Project Runway! =) I keep hoping to see some more pics from Kate's wedding, but I'm guessing you guys have been busy with Mommy, K & A's visit and those two busy little boys! lots of love - MK

    ReplyDelete