Ten years ago on Monday, I finished my last paper. I needed to edit it a little, but it was pretty much done. Thomas took me to a historic plantation called Oatlands and we walked around the gardens. As we walked up a hill I turned to give him a hug and I noticed his heart was beating really, really fast. I was worried that such a little climb made his heart beat so hard, so I asked him if he was ok. He said that he was going to ask me to marry him, and he was a little nervous. Then he took me into a little alcove with a bench and told me to sit down. He knelt down and asked me. I was so happy, I could only whisper, "yes."
Just a few days later I graduated. I don't remember much. I was a little distracted by being engaged. Everything else didn't seem to matter. It was hot. Everyone talked a long time. The music was disappointing. I felt very small shaking the speakers hand. There were lots of people, lots of pictures, lots of smiling, but what really mattered was that I was going to marry Thomas.
Ah, such happiness!
It is odd that 10 years later, I am helping plan another wedding. It is bringing back memories of finding churches, designing dresses, invitations, guest lists, trying to remember everything and trying not to stress, starting to teach school, buying a mattress with Thomas, etc.
We've only just begun to live
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way,
And yet we've just begun...
No comments:
Post a Comment