We are three weeks from performances and things are getting a little crazy. I don't have the help I thought I would have, and although so many people are willing, I feel bad asking the same people to do anymore. But we are all working together to make something really good.
At this point in the process, I am often not sure of the quality of our performance. But this year, I am pretty sure it will be a good play. Most all the lines are already memorized - we are completely off book. Characters are beginning to show, and with each added prop and costume piece, the students can see what I have been trying to get them to imagine from the start.
I am learning a lot about motivation though. Time and time again I have asked, how can I get these kids to get it. Then to find out they know exactly what I am looking for, and they can do it, if they want to. So now I am asking, how do I get them to "want to"? One student is motivated by minutes to end of rehearsal - he gets better if he knows that when he does it well, he can leave. Another is motivated by getting laughs. Another feeds off positive comments. But many of them, I don't know exactly what gets them going.
They are all so talented - such creativity and humor and energy. They are great kids to work with. I wish I could have more time with them so I am not just their director, but someone they can talk to and who will listen to their thoughts. With smaller groups and one on one, I try, but I am still the distant grown-up. It is a different role than I have had before, and it is a little odd to be seen as some one who will tell them what to do, rather than someone who comes along side and brings out the best in them. I am having a bit of trouble helping them understand that theater works a little different than a classroom. I wanted them to be a part of it because they, in themselves, have something to offer - to make the whole better.
My little boys are beginning to feel the stress of the play now too. I am feeling very stretched and pulled by all the things that need to be done and by their need for snuggles and attention. When I give my morning completely to them, it seems nothing gets done. But when I get things done, they don't sleep because they want cuddles. We almost had a balance, then Eamon got sick, now everything is out of wack, but Malcolm has almost slept through the night for the past few nights while I have been up with Eamon. Now we just need to get Eamon all better and maybe, just maybe, I will get some sleep again.
I have just a little bit more work to do before bed tonight - shopping list and menus for next week - then I need to take a look at my play to do list and figure out what has to happen tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment