Friday, June 28, 2013

Hunting Cabin Trip

My parents took a vacation up at the family's hunting cabin for three days (June 12-14). On the last day, we went up to enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere. My "little" brother also came up, as did my grandfather. It was a very relaxing evening and made Thomas and I long to get out of the city even more.


It is about a 2 hour drive to the cabin, but the last half-hour is up a dirt road. It was very bumpy, and a little rough on my pregnant mommy bladder (my mom has a funny little anecdote about this drive and being pregnant, but I will let her tell it), and I couldn't remember how far it was, though I knew the cabin was at the end, so we just kept driving. We had the windows open and listened to the birds and tried to keep a hungry Eamon entertained.


But finally, we got there and found Mom in the kitchen and Daddy mowing the grass, which is what we usually find my parents doing when we visit them. We joked that Eamon will think that mowing the grass is all the Grandpa does.


Mom took Eamon to explore the pond and the boat shed and see some birds. Then Eamon walked up and down the hill with Thomas, while Mom, Curt and I sat on the front porch chatting and enjoying the pleasant weather.


Then while Thomas grilled the burgers, Daddy, Curt, Eamon and I explored the "big machine" sheds. Eamon loved the lawn tractor, was mildly impressed with the four-wheelers, and was a little intimidated by the grader (which is huge) and the back-hoe/front-end-loader. But he got to sit in them and hold on to the steering wheels!


Then we had supper and chatted while Eamon and Curt laid in the gravel. After some strawberry-rhubarb pie (made with corn starch instead of tapioca, so it didn't hold together as well as usual), Grandpa and Curt left. Thomas and Eamon and Daddy played in the gravel drive way some more, while Mom and I talked. Then we all went inside to get ready to leave. Eamon got his pajamas on, we packed up our stuff, and Mom and Dad started cleaning up the cabin.


Eamon fell asleep shortly after we got down the mountain, and didn't wake up when we brought him in from the car. It was a fun afternoon and a great start to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment