Thursday, May 10, 2012

Like as a Father

"As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him."
Psalm 103:13

 When Eamon had croup, we took him outside to breath the cold air. It was fortunately cold that weekend, so it worked well. At one point in the early evening, Thomas took him out, and I went up stairs. I looked out the window and saw Thomas rocking Eamon on the deck, and this verse came to my mind.

I thought about the differences between a mother's love and a father's love. When Eamon is fussy because he wants to be picked up or just because, I finish what I am doing, then go get him, comfort him, cuddle him, give him my full attention for a little while, then put him down so I can get things done. If it were up to Eamon, I would be holding him all them time, but then nothing would get done around the house. But when Thomas hears Eamon fussing, he wants to pick him up immediately. And even when he doesn't pick him up right away (because we don't want Eamon to think all he has to do is start crying and we will do what he wants), the baby is on his mind, so he talks to him and plays with him and tries to make him happy.

That is a beautiful picture of God's love for us. When we are suffering or unhappy, we are on his mind. He may not solve our problem in the way that we want, but he is there with us, talking to us and comforting us if we will listen.

Eamon doesn't always appreciate Thomas' gestures of compassion; he wants what he wants. And will stubbornly fuss until he gets it. And I think I am often like Eamon to God. I want what I want, and when I don't get it I grumble and complain and feel like God isn't really listening. But the real problem is that I am not listening to Him. He is there and is offering to help me through difficult situations.

My favorite thing to watch is Thomas and Eamon cuddling. When Eamon is happy with Thomas, he reaches for him and leans against him and laughs at him and coos to him. I want to be like that with God, to reach for Him and rest in Him, and let Him fill me with His joy and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment