The "call to worship" today was from Psalm 46. The leader focused on verse 10, "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." He especially talked about our need to be still.
It seems that sometimes we understand the passage to say, "Be still because I am God." God is so amazing, so holy, so much greater than we are, we must be silent before him. We read it with Job's humility. "I am unworthy, how can I reply, I place my hand over my mouth." We talked about Isaiah and others who saw God's glory in his temple and how their unworthiness silenced them and turned them to repentance.
But today, I imagined a different picture. I imagined the way a father leans over to his child before an exciting event, and whispers, "Shh, listen, watch, wait." And in his eyes you can see the surprise that he knows that the child will see soon, as well as the love he has in delighting his child.
I wonder if this passage isn't more like that picture. God is saying to us, "Shh, my child, listen, watch, wait." And the beautiful surprise he shows us is Himself, not just in his avenging wrath or awesome wonder, but in His hand at work in all nations. How is God best exalted? When people turn and repent, when they bow
their knees to Him and worship Him, when they love and serve Him. Through His Son, He is building relationships with people all over the earth.
Have you seen any of those videos of children whose father surprises them coming home from being deployed? They are so happy; sometimes they cry; sometimes they laugh, but they always give him a great big hug as if they don't want to let go. That is the surprise God is giving us - Himself - His Love - a renewed closeness with Him.
And that is what we receive when we are still. We know that He is God, but also that God is with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment