Monday, October 18, 2010

Birthday Food

I am liking food right now. Of course there is still food that I don't like, such as shrimp and various fishes especially of the raw variety, but after a meal of such delight, I like food very much.

We started with some water and a glass of Merlot, as we talk about the day and and previous conversations. Thomas ordered for both of us, and knew just what I wanted (partly because I told him, and partly because he knows me that well). Soon we enjoyed some stuffed mushrooms and mozzarella marinara; at least, Thomas enjoyed both things. I stuck with the mozzarella; mushrooms stuffed with crab fit into the category of things I don't particularly like due to the funky texture. But I will take Thomas' word for it, and say they were delicious. While we were finishing up those things, our salad came out. It was a normal salad with ranch dressing, but I ate the onions because I like them and it was my birthday meal.

We had a short break to sip our wine and smile at each other before the veal parmigiana came out. We split the entree, but even then I wasn't able to completely finish my portion. It will make a pleasant lunch on Wednesday. We had angel-hair pasta and garlic knots to accompany such goodness, and laughed over the name angel-hair as Thomas mentioned Lorne. Thomas is much more handsome that Angel and much less creepy, mostly because he is not 200-something years old and isn't nearly as moody. The veal parmigiana was covered with cheese and tomato sauce, so of course we were going to have cheesy conversation.

As we let our meal settle, we decided that would would indeed have enough room for our dessert. This dessert was the reason we went to that particular restaurant. The wife of the owner makes all the desserts from scratch and they are amazing. My favorite is the tiramisu, served with hand-whipped cream. I am unable to eat an entire piece myself, but had just enough splitting it with Thomas. Such delightful goodness - all the wonderful flavors melting together in my mouth.

Because I didn't finish my entree, I had just enough to make me pleasantly full, but not overstuffed. Unfortunately, because of the coffee in the tiramisu, I might be wide awake for a while longer. It could be worse, I suppose, and it was worth every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment