Monday, August 16, 2010

I only pray when I'm in trouble

Allen Levi writes really good songs. One of his recent ones is about how things sometimes change very quickly and we aren't in control. The chorus says: "I only pray when I'm in trouble/But I'm in trouble all the time." When Thomas told me about it, I was really bummed out because life is so full of messed up people and events and places, so it took a slightly different meaning.

Sure, life doesn't go as I plan and I know things can change quickly, but the trouble I usually feel is the trouble that I make for myself. The troubles of perceived expectations (a good woman is more concerned about the welfare of her family and areas of service, then about her personal hobbies and interests) and guilt (I just spent way too much time online, or I didn't read my Bible and pray, or I didn't exercise all week, or I got angry with my husband, or...) often bother my spirit more than the lack of control on physical situations.

That means I am always in trouble, or rather I am always getting myself into trouble, or trouble is not far away at any given moment.

So what do I do? I only pray when I'm in trouble. I don't/shouldn't fret or worry or dig a hole to hide in, or run away, or distract myself. I only pray when I'm in trouble. Now I don't mean that I don't deal with the situation, but isn't prayer the first step in dealing with it? And part of the second and third and all the other steps too?

I only pray when I'm in trouble, and I'm in trouble all the time.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, I used to worry that I was a "sunshine Christian" who only prayed when I was happy, because that's when I feel close to God. but then I would worry I was a "rainy-day" Christian who only prayed when I was in trouble. and then I realized I just shouldn't worry about it, that it's okay to pray any time!

    ReplyDelete