“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." ~Matthew 5:13-16
What does it mean to be Salt and Light? 1. Notice it is in the present tense - you ARE salt; you ARE light; this is not just for missionaries or those who are "called." It is for all who follow Jesus.2. There are two aspects: Salt and Light. Salt is not to lose its saltiness, Light is not to be hid.3. Salt changes the dish it is added to. How does salt become unsalty? By being contaminated. Questions for pondering: What am I letting contaminate my saltiness? What is keeping me from ministering the gospel to the people around me?4. Light illuminates everything, it shows it for what it is. And it is not to be hidden. Question for pondering: How am I hiding my light (just not saying anything isn't good enough)?5. How am I going to be salt and light? By focusing on Jesus.
Eph 5: 1-2 "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."6. When I remember how much Jesus has loved me, I am moved to love others. It is not something that I must do to please God, it is a result of the fact that I already do please God.
No comments:
Post a Comment