I love Maine. My favorite part is the ocean. The smell. The endless beating of the waves against the rocks. The spray. The rhythm of the tides. The depth and wildness, danger and excitement. The little animals on rocks and in tide pools. Standing on the edge of a rock knowing that if I took two more steps I would be swept out to sea, but I am completely safe where I am. Feeling the wind pull stray hairs out and coat them with salt spray. Breathing the tangy dead fish air, and being glad that I don't have to eat anything that tastes that way if I don't want to.
This year was no different. I love the ocean. I didn't sit and watch it for as long as I have in the past. I felt like I had to keep moving and keep track of where everyone else was so I wasn't holding them up, or so Thomas wasn't too far away and was enjoying himself. But that was ok. I enjoyed it in a different way. I enjoyed watching others enjoy it in their own different ways.
We didn't hike as much either partly because it was raining for half the week and partly because I twisted my ankle on Wednesday. It hurt like crazy for the first minute or so, but then it began to feel better. I had to baby it (and sometime still do) but I had gotten some high top hiking boot/sneaker things so they supported it amazingly. The next day it turned nice and black and blue, but it only really hurt if I put my full weight on it all of a sudden, like when I stepped down. It was good for me though, because I had to be more careful rather than try to keep up with my brother and sister. It really didn't keep me from much that I really wanted to do.
The vacation also made me realize that though I am still part of my family, Thomas and I are starting our own family. We do things certain ways, we think and plan certain ways and it is different from our families and that is good. I have been noticing how similar I am to my mom and dad, but it was also eye-opening to see how different my life has become. Daddy said that this would probably be our last family vacation and he is probably right. It is time to start our own traditions and journeys. That realization gave the ending a bittersweet feel.
But it all fell into the proper place as I reached my own home and hugged my family goodbye as they went to their own homes too.
No comments:
Post a Comment