Wednesday, June 17, 2009

School is Out!

June 10, 2009, 11:30 am, my school dismissed its last child of the school year. And all the teachers breathed a sigh of relief.

June 15, 2009, 2:00 pm, I turned in my grades for the year. And I breathed a great sigh of relief and watched youtube videos and stuff for a long time to celebrate.

In between those two dates, my brother got married!

Now summer has officially begun (OK, not really "officially," because that won't happen until the 20th or something). I have sewn a dress, made my husband cheese straws, planned a yummy dinner for him, celebrated my younger brother's birthday, sewn a veil, written stuff, recorded some music (not very good - I didn't stay on key because it was a cappella and I was trying to sing with myself, but I did it), washed dishes, cleaned the bathroom, read magazines and books and generally not applied my mind to anything hugely, but let myself think and feel about stuff without over analyzing everything.

As a thank you gift from one of my students parents, I received a Kena, a peruvian flute. It is absolutely beautiful and I am learning to play it. It has so much heart (and takes so much breath.) To play, you must blow over a notch in the end - similar to a recorder notch, but with the mouth piece, so you have to position your mouth correctly. Some days I can get it right away and sometimes I can't at all. But I am learning and having a lot of fun with it. Now I need to learn how Peruvian music sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment