For God so loved the world...
What does it mean to love? And how does it apply to the world? Does it mean only people? Or does He also love the plants and animals and pieces of art and technology?
that He sent His only begotten Son...
Did Christ's death and resurrection somehow redeem not only people, but also bring plants and animals and arts and technology and everything else back into a correspondence with God?
And what does it mean to love? Does this love only apply to people? Can I apply the love chapter (1Cor 13) to movies and books? Am I making a stretch here? Or can this train of thought be expanded?
Well, Paul talks about all creation groaning, waiting for redemption; and the Revelation of St. John suggests that the whole of creation will be renewed. Christ affirmed his love for us (and continues to affirm our bond with him and with each other) through bread and wine ("which earth has given, and human hands have made"). And, in Dante's words, it's love that moves the sun and other stars.
ReplyDeleteSo, as far as I can tell, yes. :-)