Monday, July 07, 2008

Books and Movies

I finished The Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeline L'Engle. It was amazing. You should read it, but you should read it after you have read the other two in the trilogy. You might not like it, but that is ok, because you should still think about the importance of names and genealogies and pictures and unicorns drinking the wind. I need to read it again now that I know the ending. I think I will appreciate parts of it more.

We watched Wall-E. I liked it, not as good as some other Pixar's, but still great fun. I think my favorite part was when he woke up with a low "battery" and then soaked in solar rays for energy. I really related to him at that moment. I also wondered how that plant survived. I can't get my plants to live very well, and I don't carry them all over the galaxy. Oh well, maybe if I watered more regularly. My aloe and cactus variety plants do well...

We also watched Come What May. I have been working on a fuller review so I will wait to comment on that.

Yesterday, my sister and I finished our three week watching of the Bourne trilogy. I really enjoyed them again. Sister pointed out that part of the fun of watching them is seeing smart people chase other smart people. You don't want to cheer for the bad guys but you can't help noticing how clever they are, even though Bourne is, of course, more clever. I also realized this time that the scene at the end of the Supremacy happens half-way through the Ultimatum. So most of the third movie happens before the end of the second. Very clever movie-makers too! Sister didn't like the nebulous ending though. She preferred the first one, where it was happily ever after, (until the next movie.) She did appreciate the parallel scenes in the first and last one though, but didn't like the car chase in the last one so much. She also kept pointing out how violent the movies were. I told her that what happens when people try to kill other people.

Well now, the next time I post, I will either be on my way to GA, in GA, or having come back from GA. Happiness!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:59 PM

    I'll be interested in your thoughts on Come What May - I've been wanting to see it (what with being PHC-made, and all) but I'm pretty skeptical about it.

    also yay for you coming to GA! can't wait.

    ReplyDelete