Tuesday, August 12, 2025

2025 Paella Variation

We had some new friends over for dinner. After much deliberation and even prayer, I saw my Paella Variation right near the top of my recipe stack. I immediately decided to use more chicken because we always want more meat these days. And I decided to bake it so I could spend more time getting other things ready.

I got all the groceries, including some Spanish style chorizo as a special treat. Just in case you are wondering, Mexican style chorizo is soft and mushy. Spanish style is hard like a dried sausage. Unfortunately, I put a few groceries on the back seat of the car instead of in the trunk, and I didn't have the boys with me on the day that I was shopping, so the groceries got left in the car for at least two days. Eggs and chorizo are not much good after sitting in a car in August for that long. Unfortunately, it was too late to get more chorizo.

Because of this, I started my paella preparation with a bit of trepidation and experimentation. However, in my personal opinion, it was one of the best I ever made. The changes from the original are marked with a (*).

2025 Variation:
Marinate:

4* pounds of drumsticks
2 tbsp olive oil
1* tbsp smoked sweet paprika
2 *tsp smoke spicy paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste (1/2 tsp salt, ¼ pepper)

Brown the drumsticks in the skillet or paella pan *(4 minutes on 3 sides). They do not need to be thoroughly cooked. *Put the chicken in an oven safe dish and let it bake in the pre-heating oven (350 degrees) until you use it in step 4.

In the same skillet, fry:

1 medium onion
1 bell pepper (green ones add nice color)

Add more oil if necessary. Set aside.

In the same skillet, heat:

2 cups uncooked rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4* teaspoon crushed red pepper (you can use more if you like it spicy)
3 tsp* minced garlic

Stir until rice is covered with the oil and beginning to toast. Then add:

1 large* pinch saffron
1 bay leaf
1* bunch of fresh parsley
zest of 3* lemons
1 quart chicken broth

Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. Stir in at least a cup of whatever veggies you are using (peas, carrots, corn, etc). *Set six of the drumsticks on top of the paella and decorate with peppers or shrimp or whatever you think looks tasty and pretty.

*Bake at 350 degrees until the water is absorbed and the chicken reaches 165 degrees, 45-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment