Monday, July 28, 2025

StarWars Costuming

 StarWars day at the Bloomsburg Children's Museum is one of the highlights of the year, because we all like dressing up. Each year we get better and better at developing our costumes and characters. 


Malcolm went as a Bounty Hunter, modeled off of Bobba Fett, but with his own twists and surprises. He added to last year's Mandalorian helmet and made his own shield. He added lots of bags and provisions to his belt so he could carry everything he needed. I helped by building a jet pack.

 

Eamon went as Darth Bottom, inspired by "William Shakespeare's Star Wars" by Ian Doescher, and his portral of Pyramus in our "Midsummer Night's Dream," when on the final night, instead of pulling out a dagger, he stabbed himself with a light saber. He now fits in Thomas's medieval vest, pants, and laced boots, but he added a black cape from his previous StarWars costumes. He also built a hilt for his light saber.


Thomas had the idea of going as Darth Ray, an evil, male version of Rey. Although what I made for him was not what we originally envisioned, we ended up liking it pretty well. It was a new pattern, and I learned how I will need to alter it for future projects. However, for the first sew, I really enjoyed the project and how it all came together. And I think he looked really good!



Building of Thomas's idea, I decided to go as Kayla Ren, a good, female version of Kylo Ren. It helped that I had the perfect fabric for the tunic. Because I was feeling rushed, I just grabbed a pattern and started cutting, forgetting to take measurements. So when I put it together and it fit, I was hugely relieved. The hood and cowl were incredibly hot but I enjoyed figure it out. And the mask went through multiple changes, but I was rather pleased with it by the end.

We are already dreaming about next years costumes, since each year feeds the ideas for the next year. It was also good to get back into sewing with successes. It reminded me that I can sew, I do enjoy it, and I don't have to be a expert to make things that work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment