Monday, September 09, 2024

First Week of Homeschooling

Across the table, Malcolm is working on his typing drills. Eamon is practicing his cello, providing background music. They have already finished math and morning chores. When practice and typing is over, we will have our devotions and word/brain games, then do our language arts. Then I will make lunch, and they get either a break or independent work time, depending how much they have left, if any. After lunch, we'll do our together classes: history and/or science. 

If it sounds calm and organized, do not be fooled. Thrown into the mix is various church meetings, working on the project related to those meetings, trying to get caught up on laundry, dealing with bouts of complaining (me included), trying to finish putting things in our school drawers, checking work, seeing what cool thing the boys have discovered in their work, cleaning off my kitchen counter, and remember to drink enough water. 

Also, I either have a cold or allergies, or both.

Last night when I was complaining to God about how overwhelmed I was feeling and how I didn't want to do school today and worrying that we were all going to come down with some illness and that I know he uses weaknesses, but which of my weaknesses was he trying to use, and couldn't he use my strengths, or at least let my strengths be appreciated, I remembered Jesus's words.

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42

Sometimes these words sound like Jesus is scolding Martha, and I
guess, He kind of is. But when I hear them, they are so full of understanding, like when Aslan is talking to Shasta on the mountain pass. "Tell me your sorrows." And like Aslan, there is only one thing needed, just to look at Him, to be with Him. He doesn't take away all our worries and things to do, but he walks with us through them.

So life is not calm, organized, efficient, comfortable, but we are working towards peaceful - not the peace of ease, but the peace of walking with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment