Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Dream of Wilderness

A bird sang. The fresh morning breeze carried a smell moist leaves and earth. It is funny how simple sounds and smells can transport you to places that exist only in your mind.

For a second, that's all there was. The bird, the breeze, the sweet kiss goodbye, and the little children's voices from inside the house. We were on the top of a mountain, surrounded by trees. Our cottage was small because the forest was big. There was a stream to explore and play in. There were trees to climb and lean against. There were rocks to sit on, flowers to discover, animals to watch. We were near the Alm Uncle's cottage, or in a Narnian Forest, or on My Side of the Mountain. TV, phones, and computers seemed far away and unneeded.






It was all a split second dream. But, of course, being who I am, my brain must analyze what it all meant. Do I really long for that technology free, physical-labor-intensive life? Or have I just been reading too much Little House? Do I like my house because it is my place to explore, create, and relax in, like my imagined woods? But if I had the woods, would I stay in my house as much? Or has the walls of my house become ways of shutting out people, like the distance of forest? And do I really want to be alone, separated from people who love me and who I love? Why was this split second dream so refreshing? Yet the idea of walking around the neighborhood depressing?


I want space,
Not just air,
Let them laugh in my face,
I don't care
Save a place,
I'll be there...

Where?



No comments:

Post a Comment