Sunday, April 17, 2016

Non Nobis, Domine

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis
sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

As Christians, we acknowledge that God uses us to bless and encourage others. Sometimes we don't know that we are doing it. Sometimes we try really hard and it seems that we aren't really doing anything. But there are times when we get to see that God is working through us. Our touring drama production was one such time.

Sure, I came up with idea. I wrote script. I worked hard to bring poems, songs, and readings together with the story of Ragman. But when I was done, I asked God to bless it and make it beautiful.

The first change was the music. I have a few girls who play the violin, so I went with music that they new and could play. I changed one to be a piano solo. But I planned on finding an accompanist.

The next change happened when I realized that it wasn't long enough. I had been telling churches it was 45 minutes long, but in reality it was 25-30 minutes. So I prayed and went back to the drawing board, and added Scripture readings, some from the gospels, some from Isaiah 53.

Then I forgot to follow up with accompanists. I had a piano solo for the accompanist at a very crucial spot in the program. One day before practice, one of my students was playing the piano. It was beautiful. I asked him if he had prepared any pieces for church. He said there was just one, "The Old Rugged Cross." He played it for me and it was the perfect fit.

The Script was complete and so much better than the original.

Because we didn't have set performance dates right from the beginning, I knew some students wouldn't be able to make all the performances. Each performance has been with different students and different challenges. But I have been able to see little bits of God working at each of them.

Our first performance was the first time we cut the lights and used (electric) candles. When the lights came back on, and the Ragman rose from the dead, a little girl near where I stood breathed, "Wow!" The second performance was the first time we had performed it with a complete cast, straight through - not even in practice had we done that. Afterward, someone told me that they were almost in tears during the piano piece and the complete a cappella vocal piece was fitting in its simplicity and sincerity.

We were warned that the third performance might have a rowdy audience. It was an evangelistic youth program and most of the kids don't sit and listen to anything. While we were waiting for our turn, I became aware that there was a spiritual battle going on in the room. I began praying that our voices would be able to be heard and that God would show his power and love to everyone present. When we began, it was quiet. The audience was listening. As it continued, we heard comments that showed they were following the story. When the Ragman died, there were cries of confusion and concern. In the darkness that followed, there was silence. At the end, the pastor was thrilled; he had never seen this group pay such good attention in the two months they have been working with them. Several of my actors also said they felt it was one of their best performances.

So good for us? Everyone involved did work hard and gave up a lot of time and energy. The parents of my cast were amazing in their willingness to make time for rehearsals and in their flexibility with crazy performance times. My family and friends gave up their time watching the boys. We pulled together and made something beautiful. But again and again the best things were things we can't take credit for. It was God working through us.

Not to us, Lord, not to us
But to your name, give glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment