Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Almost All Wrong, No Good, Messed Up Day

Life flies by so fast. I can't keep track of it all. There have been some days recently I haven't opened my computer, looked in the mirror, or read a book to the boys. There just hasn't been time. Other days, there are periods of frantic busyness followed by peace and quiet, only to rush around like crazy a little later. 

I know a lot of the busyness has to do with directing another, smaller play. The performances kind of crept up on me and we were not ready. Friday was the first performance, and Friday was a day that nothing went right. 

No, that's not completely true, there were somethings that were just fine. We got shopping done in an hour an a half, not bad compared to some weeks. I made a brochure for the play and someone at the school printed and got it already for me. I was able to sew a veil and curtain for the play. I made it to the school on time, and we had eaten supper already. Thomas was a great help with the boys, as were my mom, dad, and sister. My brother and sister-in-law stepped in and helped too.

But, the boys didn't nap. TV had been forbidden because of temper fits. I yelled at the boys. The boys were incredibly naughty because they were tired and I was not paying them attention. I yelled more at them. I cried, but not the full cry that was brewing. Then at the play, the room wasn't prepared. The lights kept blowing the circuits. The microphones kept acting up. And I forgot my script.

It is said that in the face of adversity, people's true characters are shown. I must confess, my character proved to be not all that I wanted it to be. However, it showed that the kids of my cast are amazing. They stepped up to the task, took everything with initiative, a sense of humor, and flexibility. Maybe someday I will tell more about how wonderful these kids are and how much of a blessing they have been to me, but I haven't told them yet, so I will wait for now.

And after it all we came home and had ice cream. That was something that went right.

No comments:

Post a Comment