Saturday, February 21, 2015

Hurray!

A few weeks ago we realized that Malcolm was scared of sleeping in his crib. He would hit is head on the bars, wake up, and be terrified. We moved the mattress on the floor after nights of not sleeping because he was in bed with us. That way I could lay next to him if I needed to, but Thomas would not be disturbed by getting kicked in the ribs or back all night long.

The arrangement worked pretty well for awhile. Then he got sick and wanted me all night long, so a few night we slept on the floor in a sleeping bag. But the normal night was him waking at 11:30, between 2:30 and 3:30, and around 5:30. Each time I would go in, tuck him back into his bed, lay on the floor beside him for about 20 minutes and then go back to bed. But as time went on, I was getting more and more tired, so I would fall asleep and not wake until he woke up again, and repeat, until morning. After sleeping more nights on the floor than in my bed, we decided things needed to change.

My parents so conveniently had a twin mattress and box springs, and so kindly gave it too us. They braved the cold and snow to bring it yesterday. I told Eamon all about it, let him choose the sheets to put on his new bed, cleaned the room, got everything ready, so it would seem like a fun thing. He still expressed a little sadness about not getting to sleep in his little bed. But then when he saw his new bed all made up, he was delighted. The happiness was contagious and Malcolm was happy too. I am not sure how much he understood, but we kept telling him that Eamon's toddler bed was his now. He kept taking the pillow and sleeping on the floor.

Then it was bedtime. I let them climb onto their beds before PJ's and took pictures. Eamon was now thrilled with his new bed and cowboy sheets. Malcolm was also thrilled by Eamon's new bed. Then we did our normal bedtime routine. Malcolm fell asleep during prayers. Eamon fell asleep within 15 minutes of laying down...

AND THEY SLEPT THE WHOLE NIGHT LONG!

Malcolm cried at 11:30 and at 5:30, but by the time I got to his bed to check on him, he was back asleep. Eamon woke up twice and needed help finding his Nuk, but Thomas took care of one, and the other coincided with Malcolm's 5:30 cry. I had 6 uninterrupted hours of sleep! This morning, I felt like a new woman. I got the laundry washed, sheets changed, and the dished done. I also did some creative stuff and talked with my sister for 2 hours. We had a veggie cheese pizza of my invention for supper that was delicious and which the boys ate with just a bit of coaxing, not all out war to get them to eat. We had ice cream for desert. It was a great day. 

One final side note, Malcolm has been fighting his new Nuk, but his old Nuk is gross and he won't sleep without one. But today, he finally accepted the new Nuk.

Now let's see how tonight goes.

1 comment:

  1. I sooo identify! :) My LO is 2.5 months and has similar wakings. But that is good for breastfeeding, so I've adjusted. I can't imagine doing this with two though! Bravo!! :)

    ReplyDelete