Tuesday, February 10, 2015

10 Years Ago, Part 2

My first school was a tiny little church school that met in a trailer behind the church. I was with the K-2 grade teacher. There were 4 third and fourth graders, no 5-8, and a few high school students. There was also a preschool class. It was a learning experience, dealing with kids, as well as school politics, but the best part of the experience came from life outside of school.

The teacher I was observing was only a few years older than me and welcomed me into her college and career group. We went ice skating, had Bible Studies, and even a mystery dinner. I was accepted for who I was, listened to for my perspectives, and able to ask lots and lots of questions. It was a fun time of discovering who I was and how other people perceived me. I always felt like I was surprising them, and sometimes, I felt like I was surprising myself, but it was a good sort of fun.

Like at the mystery dinner, when I arrived late, I entered the room in character - which was a flapper character - boisterous, confident, and the life of the party. I know I shocked several people, but after I was willing to act in character, others started getting into it and we had a good time figuring out "Who Dun It?"

I also lived with a couple and her mother who had once been a part of my home church. Oh, the conversations and laughter that we had. Everything from, "Your boyfriend is a Methodist? Is he a Christian?" to "Every time you make hot chocolate, you remind me of a man who stayed with us for a while..." And the things that Granny Alice would say! I was always "being fresh" with her, but she loved it. She had quite a talent for zingers and culturally insensitive comments, that were hilariously inappropriate. She was the type of person that makes stereotypes exist. But I loved her, all of them really. They were wonderful people and were so loving and welcoming for the 7 weeks I stayed there.

It is funny how 7 weeks can creates memories, change lives, and shape perspectives. I was offered a job at that school, and I was tempted to take it, since I had a community that I had already started to know. But I also knew that the school wouldn't last long, the community would change rapidly, and it wasn't where I wanted to settle, even for another year. It was good for what it was, but more opportunities were waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment