Thursday, October 17, 2013

TWO!


 Eamon had his TWO year check-up. He is 24.5 pounds and 34 inches tall. This means he is no longer in the 10th percentile or lower (which he has been in since he was born), but has made it up to the 24 percentile! Not that I put much stock in such things, but it is fun to see that he has grown a lot in the past 6 months. He was able to all the things they asked about, and even some of the things that are on the list for the next check up. The doctor was impressed by his verbal skills, and she didn't even hear him say, "Tobe" or "nah tobe" that is the "kestion," or in answer to Where does Yoda live? "Dagoba."

He loves his big machines. Excavator is definitely his favorite, but Bulldozer and Front Loader and Roller and Dumper are pretty important too. He likes the Cars movie. We got him some characters for his birthday. Guido is the one that keeps showing up everywhere. While "reading" his McQueen book, he talks about "Doc" and "Keen" a lot, though he knows all the other characters too. He also has been reading about dinosaurs. He has the book from Grandmommy almost memorized and tries to say the different types. Tyrannosaurus and Pterodactyl are the ones he says most often, but there are a few others that he likes. I don't remember the names very well yet and have to keep looking them up.

And there are the instruments. He loves watching people play instruments. There are the Guys (The Piano Guys), who are his favorites. But today he saw a clip of an orchestra and watched mesmerized for 8 minutes. He is familiar with most of the orchestral instruments and can pick out many of them: cello, violin, flute, trumpet, cymbal, harp, as well as a few others. And the "ducter" waves the "tahn" around like "1, 2, 3, 4." While on the topic of music, he has begun to sing. Sometimes he sings with me, but usually he only sings while playing by himself. If he knows I am listening, he stops or asks me to sing it. He sings "Happy Birthday" and the "ABC's" most often, but I have heard "Peponi" (by the Piano Guys) and "Baa Baa Black Sheep."

He still would rather play with me than by himself, but he is getting better at playing by himself for short periods of time, rather than getting everything out, then finding more things to get out. He is also learning to put away his toys. He doesn't like doing it, but he can. The times he is self-occupied the longest are when he is looking at books, which he now "reads" out loud so I can tell what book he is holding.


Malcolm had his TWO month appointment at the same time Eamon had his appointment. Malcolm is 10 pounds, 12.5 ounces and is 22 inches long. He is holding up his head quite well, and has even rolled over (front to back) several time. He is getting better at finding his hand to suck on, but getting that thumb out is a little difficult still. He seems to sometimes prefer trying to find his hand than take his NUK. He is becoming more and more aware of the world around him. He smiles and Aunt Helen got some "almost laughs" out of him. He coos and sings when we talk to him.

 He stares at the dots on his bassinet and the patterns on the ceiling. Recently he has been crying when we aren't paying him enough attention. He will be sitting in his swing watching us, then start fussing until we bring him to the table or wherever we are. And sometimes, when I am holding him and doing something else, I will look down and be startled to see his beautiful blue eyes staring up at me, watching my face intently.

He nurses well and sleeps well. During the day, he eats almost every three hours. Sometimes he will go four hours; other times he wants to eat after two, but usually he is like clock work. His last feeding of the day has been around 8:30, then he sleeps until 4:00-ish, then falls back asleep until 7. Those last 3 hours are sometimes difficult, because he has lots of burps and keep loosing he NUK, so some mornings I just sleep on the couch with him on me. Other times I have my hand draped into his bassinet by my bed, so I can hold in the NUK and pat him when he gets restless. There have been a few nights when I have fed him right before I fall asleep and he has slept until our alarm goes off in the morning!

He is so different from Eamon, which is good because in TWO weeks we will be moving! We are supposed to sign the lease next Saturday when we will get to go over the house again (and I will take pictures to share). Then we will be able to start moving in. Packing in earnest is supposed to start now. I haven't had much chance to do much, but I have tried to do some. I am overwhelmed by the stuff we have, but am so horrible at deciding what should be given away and what should be thrown away and what should be kept. However, there is nothing like moving to make some things very clear. I have said, "Throw it away; I don't want to move that," quite a few times. Part of the problem is I like to organize while I pack, so things are taking much longer to get done.

In TWO hours it will be midnight, so I should stop writing and go to bed. Morning will come soon.

2 comments:

  1. Josanna Simpson11:19 AM

    Thanks for sharing how things are going for the Wiley clan. Loved that Eamon is into books! I'll pray for peace and grace for you with this move. What a lot to handle at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving? Congrats!! :) Yes, once you get settled and have time, we'd love to see pics!

    Thanks for you for sharing your beautiful boys with us too. It's so neat to see what they discover about the world at each stage of life. It's like you're rediscovering it too!

    ReplyDelete