Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dust of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

~ Robert Frost

Last night as we came home, it was frigid. So cold that the snow squeaked, not crunched. Today it was really cold too - around 9 degrees. I hung a curtain over our front door to help stop some of the drafts. (We also used it to make a tent for part of the day.) As I drove to a Ladies Bible Study tonight, the gusts across the interstate were a little scary. And my nose didn't warm up until I got home after the study. However, the snow and the cold were making me feel rather poetic.

I never know just where to go,
when all the world is full of snow.
 
I do not want to make a track,
not even to the shed and back.
 
I only want to watch and wait,
while snow moths settle on the gate,
 
and swarming frostflakes fill the trees
with billions of albino bees.
 
I only want myself to be
as silent as a winter tree,
 
to hear the swirling stillness grow,
when all the world is full of snow.
 
~ N.M. Bodecker
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment