Thursday, January 03, 2013

Costuming 4: Phebe's Wedding Dress

In our telling of the story, Phebe was a lady of Duke Senior's court who was banished with him. In her banishment, she was "discovered" by Silvius, a local farmer, who desired her hand in marriage. She thought herself to far above him in education and literacy, so was quite attracted to the intelligent shepherd Ganymede. Her dress, while not the height of fashion was to have a little taste of the Court.

Similar to Rosalind's, Phebe's dress was made out of a lace table cloth. However, this tablecloth was much heavier, so I had to make the dress in two pieces, a skirt and top. Because of the pattern of flowers, I made a straight skirt attached to a waistband. The top was similar in style to Rosalind's, except it had a side opening. The velcro wasn't really strong enough to hold the weight of the material and was always coming undone. Fortunately, she too had an under-dress.

I didn't get to finish her dress either. It was supposed to have lace over the shoulder straps that matched the pattern of the dress. And I wanted to make the side openings a little stronger. But I think it looked really good on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment