So some nights were really great. He would only wake once around 1, then wake up around 5:30, but fall back asleep until 6:30 or 7. But other nights, he was awake every hour, or every two hours, crying and crying, wanting to be held. However, ever since that last tooth came in, and that last ear infection was vanquished, he has been napping really well - a hour or hour and a half in the morning, and two to three hours in the afternoon.
It is amazing what sleep does to a mother's and baby's disposition. Life seems so much happier now.
He has been talking up a storm recently. Not all of it is understandable, but he is definitely sure of what he is trying to say. He recognizes lots of animals, but dogs and horses, and occasionally lions, are the only ones he matches the sound with the animal. I can usually understand what he wants, even though he can't say it. The sounds he can make are: b, d, g, h, k, m, n, r, t, dz; short a, long a, short o, short e, long e, and short u. He has begun putting consonant sounds together like br, gr, and dr.
He is very helpful around the house, as you can imagine. He loves to get out the Tupperware for me and pull the clean silverware out of the dish-drainer. He enjoys pulling out the books, the onions, the pots, his toys, the plastic bags, and anything else that can be pulled out. He also helps me when I cook by standing on a step ladder and putting his fingers in whatever I am making. We are working on the concept of putting things away, but he isn't really interested in learning that skill.
He still loves to eat, though he is much more picky about what he likes to eat, nowadays. Funky texture (lumps in baby food) seems to bother him. He eats baby food still, jelly toast, yogurt, noodles, bananas, and apples. He tried french fries when we went to NYC, and liked them even more than his baby food. Our usual breakfast is apple juice oatmeal. Lunch is jelly toast and fruit, and supper is baby food and tastes of whatever we are having. I try to vary it up a little from time to time by adding in yogurt or different types of fruit and veggies, but that is the basic.
He is getting much better at playing by himself, which ought to allow me to get lots more done, but somehow that doesn't happen. Partly because I need to have my eyes on him every single moment. I step around the corner and he is half-way up the steps or playing with the stereo system. I know, I know, we should baby proof our house. If you have ideas and want to come help do that, lets set up a time. I have been trying to get this house organized in ways that he can play, but we just have too much stuff and not enough room. But we also don't know what to get rid of, besides the piano, which is difficult to get rid of at the present moment. Alas!
Oh, I nearly forgot, he is about 18 pounds and is so tall that he can't stand under the table without bumping his head. His appointment is next week, so I don't have the exact measurements.Other notes: He puts almost everything into his mouth. He loves looking at books and pictures on my computer. He enjoys playing with Daddy. In fact, Daddy coming home is probably one of his favorite times of day. He can go from being grumpy to happy in seconds. He isn't walking yet, though I have a feeling it will be soon. He has been getting frustrated with crawling today.
Well, there a year! It seems to have taken forever, and no time at all, at the same time.


he is... SO BIG! I wish I could play with him so bad!
ReplyDeleteI wish you could too!
ReplyDelete