Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Summoning of Everyman

The first play Keith directed at ICS was The Summoning of Everyman. I came in the last ttwo weeks and helped pull last minute things together. Seven years later, he directed it again. Today is its last day to be performed. I only did costuming and a bit of props work, so I told Keith I felt like I was cheating - only coming in here and there, not really doing that much, but having lots of fun with the behind the scenes stuff. It was fun. I think it reminded both of us how much we like working together, and how well our perspectives compliment each other. I hope that we can do another production soon.

This version was adapted by Dr. David Kuhns and originally performed at Geneva College. It has both a Medieval and modern Everyman summoned by Death to make an appearance before God to be judged. They have one hour to prepare themselves. They seek Fellowship/Party Hearty, Kindred and Cousin, Goods and Riches/Mystuff before they finally seek Faith who makes that last trip with them. The way these two times play off each other can be difficult to follow if you are not listening carefully. The Medieval language is kept in the Medieval scenes, so it is sometimes hard going back and forth between Poetry and modern dialogue. However, it is this going back and forth that also brings it power. Everyone will die and face judgement, both in the past and in the present.

In this performance, the students do a good job portraying their story. They seem to understand the seriousness of the subject matter as well as know how to insert bits of comedy to lighten to mood. I am so proud of all of them. For most of the students this is their first ICS performance and it is exciting to see the talent we have coming through the ranks.

Tonight I am going to see it again. I hope to take pictures so I will have some to show you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment