When I married Thomas, I learned so much more about what God's love meant as it was lived out in Thomas's love for me. Now I am learning more about God's love as it is lived out in Thomas and I and our love for our son.
We read the story of Abraham and Isaac in church yesterday.
It is a hard story to read and imagine, but it took on even more meaning now that I have a baby. God had promised Abraham descendents through the boy on the altar. God now told him to kill that boy. Abraham trusted that God knew what he was doing and that he would keep his promises. It seems that he figured that God would raise his son from the dead, but there was always the chance that he might not. But he also says that God would provide a son.
I wondered if Abraham really knew what God would do, or if he simply trusted that it would work out all right in the end. I wondered what he was thinking or if he was trying to turn his brain off so he wouldn't think, but just do it.
I then wondered about after the story. What happened when they saw the ram and sacrificed him? What was Isaac thinking? Did he understand what had happened? Did Abraham explain why he had to put him on the altar? And did they ever tell Sarah what took place on that mountain?
It is impossible for me to hear this story without John 3:16 coming to mind. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son..." God loved Jesus and Jesus knew and understood that love. That is clear from the Gospels. But God loved us so much that he was willing to give up his son; and Jesus loved us so much he willing gave himself up.
What wondrous love is this. We think about Jesus' anguish as he hung on the cross. But think about the anguish of the Father as he let him hang there. It is no wonder the earth shook and the sky went dark. The creation could not stand the pain of the Godhead.
And I wonder about after this story too. Christ resurrection - the victory over death and the atonement of our sins - is so amazingly joyful. "He is not here; He is risen." What a privilege to be that angel announcing the best news in the world - the joy of the Father. And think about how amazingly joyful Christ's future glorification will be. Then we, those he loves, will be united with himself. And we will be part of that joy and glory.

No comments:
Post a Comment