Saturday, June 11, 2011

First Week...Nineteenth Week

This has been the first week of my summer vacation, and the first week of the rest of my life... For the next several years, I don't see myself being ruled by the school year, beginning in July and ending in June. I have told the school I am not coming back as a teacher next year, and I feel both free and a little lost. However, I have made up for it by filling my week with busyness.

Sunday: Church. We had a visiting missionary pastor. He preached from Nehemiah and I have had the name Sanballat in my head all week. Also, it took me a while to find Nehemiah in my Bible. I thought he was one of the minor prophets. I was wrong, but so was Thomas. We eventually found it... Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job... I was in nursery for the evening service and the sermon seemed really long. Two pregnant ladies and six kiddies under age two, hitting their bed time... I was thankful for no church chat.

Monday: ICS Library. Now that I am not in the pay of ICS, I get to volunteer and I began my summer break by volunteering to help do inventory for the school library. Mom is the librarian, so it was really to help her, and because I love books. I got to do the Easy Fiction, then some of the Dewey Decimals, then look for and find missing books. It was so much fun, but it did take longer than I expected. We had Shepherd's Pie for supper, and went shopping for some important necessities in the evening.

Tuesday: Thomas' work. We have voice lesson on Tuesdays. It is about a half hour away from home, and about 20 minutes from Thomas' work. However, Thomas' work is about 40 minutes away from home. So, for Thomas to come pick me up after he is done with work and then drive to voice lessons is very inefficient. Therefore, for the summer, I am going to work with Thomas, working on my online/computer stuff, maybe cleaning some houses, and then I will be there when it is time to leave for voice. It is not the idea situation, but it is sure better than any other option. This week I did lesson plans for Girls' Club, finished a skit, worked on a drama program overview, and writing an essay on education. We watched Leverage on DVD in the evening. I love that show!

Wednesday. Home. Our house was in some desperate need of cleaning. So I did laundry, cleaned the bedroom, and did most of the dishes. My sister sold me some Cutco in the afternoon. And in the evening, I taught Girls' Club during Prayer Meeting at church. At first I don't think the girls knew what to expect, but by the end we were having all sorts of fun. I took my camera and we had a photoshoot as we talked about poise. I am really looking forward to this summer's classes. It has been so much fun planning the lessons and extra activities. Since I am doing all the planning on Tuesday's while at Thomas' work, I have all of Wednesday to think and pray about it as well as improve it. And I love the girls, and my co-teachers.

Thursday. Sandy's. I got to hang out with a friend and her boys and daughter for the morning. Such adorable children! But such kids... trying to get away with as much as possible all the time, wanting attention, "Excuse me, excuse me, can I talk now?" etc. It was a good time and I am enjoying getting to know my friend again, now that she is back in the area. We have both changed so much, but there are some things that just don't change. One of the little boys asked, "Are you going to be Ellie's (his little sister) aunt?" I responded, "Even though your mommy and I used to pretend we were sisters, I am not really, so no, I am not Ellie's aunt." "Well then what are you?" he asked. I was tempted to answer lots of things, like "a turtle, or an elephant" but I just said, "Same as I am to you." He was ok with that. Dinner at Matt's was pleasant, though incredibly warm, and we went grocery shopping in the evening.

Friday. Nicole's. More adorable children and another good friend! We cleaned and talked and walked and talked and watched kids and talked. Although there was nothing that stood out as amazing, it was a really good time and so relaxing and comfortable. That afternoon I had a doctor's appointment that annoyed me because it was so far away and only took 15 minutes and I expected more information, but ending up knowing more than the doctor because he didn't have the ultrasound results. After we left I was a little less annoyed, but I hope I don't have to meet with him again. We went out to eat on the way home. And I finished a book and watched one of my favorite movies (Shall we Dansu?) in the evening.

Saturday. Shopping. I ran out of laundry detergent, but forgot to pick some up when we went out other times. So we had to go shopping again. I got a few articles of clothing and a gift for my brother and some other stuff and we came home. I haven't drunk enough water today, so I am very thirsty. Fortunately, it isn't as hot as it has been. Soon we will go celebrate Curt's birthday and visit my grandfather.

Another week is over. According to my calculations, Monday I will be 20 weeks. Today, I definitely felt the baby wiggle. Craziest, most wonderful feeling ever.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh so exciting! =) it sounds like you're really having a pleasant summer vacation so far... maybe I should teach, I would love to have another summer off sometime, haha. looking forward to seeing you guys before too long! <3

    ReplyDelete